Thursday, April 19, 2012

Wednesday-Earth Day Inspiration

If you are here to see my frame for For Fun Challenges, please click here.


Hello Everybody!

It's almost Thursday-haha!  But it is still Wednesday and like I said I am gonna post everyday till Earth Day!

I have exciting news!  Here is the Blog Candy for my Earth Day Challenge.

Here's what is in it:

Canvas Tag
Recollections Green Butterflies (qty 4)
Embossed Yellow Birdies
Glitter Cameos
Studio G Stamps-Grow where you're planted

This was as Earth Day as I could get :)


Also, I changed Monday's blog post to read a card or a tag for the challenge.  Tags are so much fun and I have become totally addicted (someone told me I would, and they were right!)  You can go here to find out the details of my Earth Day Challenge.

This is my tag to help inspire.  I am also entering it in a couple of Earth Day Recycle/Upcycle challenges going on in other parts of Blogland.

--Frilly and Funkie-Repurpose to Upcycle--use to upcycled items on a paper craft

--Do More with Less--Something Recycled

Here is what I recycled/upcycled: the blue tag itself, butterfly (antennae and body), and the hanging charm. Scroll down, and I'll show you what I did...


Here is a picture of some things I have in an upcycle box.  Cardboard box, product packaging, plastic, Neosporin box, netting from toy packaging, and the base to my tag...


The base of my tag is the "lid" from this Kleenex box.  It is shiny and cool which is why I bought this box, not to mention the actual tissues are supposed to cool an irritated nose.


These are earrings I have that have lost their mate.  That little ballet shoe is from my youth so I have been carrying it around for a looooooong time now.


Here is my Cuttlebug die, it's from their kids collection.  Here is some Tim Holtz packaging (I have no shortage of this I assure you.) ;)


I ran this through the Cuttlebug about 4 times since it is a thin die.  It worked!  Because the packaging is a bit glossy I used an orange alcohol ink to paint it.  Then with purple Stickles I made the body.


See this little wire?  It's from a charm.  It's the piece that holds the charm onto the packaging.  Last night I put it aside, and tonight it is the perfect size for butterfly antennae.  I adhered it with a glue dot.


Here's my tag again.  I have close ups below.


I used Tim Holtz tape on the sides.  That covered up the ridges from tearing off of the tissue box.  The ring is Making Memories and I stapled it to the tag using Tim's little stapler.  The compass is from K&C Company and I put it on here symbolically.  I am not usually that deep but it is there to say which way are we going (environmentally).  Then there is a 7 Gypsies rub-on that has the sun and moon and says "Open 24 hours" in the middle.  The tree is a sticker from Provo Craft.  The Butterfly is pop dotted.


Promise word is left over from the anniversary card I did a few evenings ago.  Using Staz On ink, I stamped Wanna hug a tree with me?  G-studio stamp.  And the flower is a rub-on from Kaiser.  And the bottom part of my earring. :)


Thank you for stopping by!  I am very excited about how this turned out!  I can't wait to see your projects!  Until next time my friends...It's not easy being Green :)

10 comments:

Dr Sonia S V said...

What a beautiful recycled project Katy and Thank You so much for joining in at the recycle challenge at Yvonne's blog
Cheers
Sonia
cardsandschoolprojects.blogspot.com

yyam said...

Oh wow! That tag is amazing! I love how you recycle!

Thanks for playing along with my guest Sonia's challenge!

Teresa Kline said...

great uses of leftovers...so cool!

enjoy *~*

Annette Allen said...

girl you are so creative...i love it... you are great at recycling...I totally love Earth Day...April 22nd totally rocks...

Kim x said...

Well done on all your recycling.
Thanks for stopping by.
hugs Kimx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

This is how to recycle!!! Or should I say Upcycle!!!! Wonderful work! Thank you for playing along with us this week at Frilly & Funkie!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous upcycled project ! Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Sue C x

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

This is so cool. I really love reusing and upcycling items. I especially love the butterfly antennae you made from the tiny fastener and repurposing the earring was brilliant! Your tag came out awesome. Thanks so much for sharing it with us this week at Frilly and Funkie!

Marjie Kemper said...

Fabulous upcycle! Love the antennae and how you used the packaging for diecuting. Thanks for joining us at Frilly & Funkie!

Lynne Moncrieff said...

This is so wonderful.
Isn't it amazing what an ordinary household can provide for us crafters.
Wishes
Lynne